*Ruth = the Gentile bride –> The kinsman-redeemer takes a Gentile woman as bride
According to the Torah, however, He was forbidden to marry a Moabitess. (!) but remember who Boaz’ mother was: Rahab (the Jericho harlot)! What the law could not permit, race and grace could. [Deut. 23: 2-3]
– must be able to perform the obligations
– must be willing to perform
– must assume all the obligation
–> the cost was very high!
- Naomi had to be exiled
- What the law couldn’t do, grace could
- Ruth does not replace Naomi
- Ruth learns of Boaz’ ways through Naomi
- Naomi meets Boaz through Ruth
- Not until Ruth and Boaz are joined does Naomi see Boaz
- No matter how much Boaz loved and desired Ruth, she needed to approach him first.
However, Boaz- not Ruth– confront the nearer kinsman. Christ our defence, is also our judge!