Remember how God created man?
So God created man in his own image,
in the image of God created he him;
male and female created he them. (Gen. 1:27)
Well, God Himself was referring to me.. ( ._.)
Remember how I always say “there is no such thing as coincidence” and “everything happens for a reason”? Well, I was right.
Or how I always claim to be “perfectly balanced; both sexes in one”? Well, I wish I was wrong. *cries profusely*.
I went to see my GP today.
Although I am not about to disclose my entire medical history to you (it’s not that exciting, really) I will tell you that much: my period has never ever been regular.
While other women (whether sexually active or not) fret over it coming a day or two late, I just go about my usual business, having accepted the fact that my menstruation likes showing up “like a thief in the night”- literally!
Moving on, years ago, to help regulate it, I was put on a (birth control) pill.. and it naturally worked; helping control and manage my hormones; causing the flow of blood during the intervals/breaks; and making sure that- as long as I took them in regularly- my menstruation would not fail me. After a while, however, I decided I wasn’t ready to be turned into a junkie; unable to lead a normal life without the constant intake of drugs, and so I stopped taking them. Yes, you guessed it, I stopped seeing my visitor as regularly too..
Anyway, to cut a long story short: I want my period back!! And so I went to see my GP again today. He did an ultrasound on me, said I was perfectly okay, but..
I can see your mucous membrane is rather thick. Your menses has been building up but is having a difficult time flowing. We’ll need to help kick it off.
I, looking at him bewildered, beckoned him to explain further. He prescribed a drug I was to take in for the following 10 days, and referred me to a lab where I was to have my hormone- balance checked.
There’s most likely too much testosterone in your system!
#GBAM! And there it was! Finally, a (medical) proof of what I’ve been saying all this while: Way too much testosterone in my system! I didn’t (and still don’t) know whether to laugh or cry.
You lot used to think I was joking (*scoffs*) but I kinda always knew.. Omo, someting dey happen. I find myself being extremely womanly one moment, usually without previous warning, suddenly act-a-man. And no, I’m not schizophrenic -____- Hormones!! I have seen myself respond to questions more harshly than intended, or simply not at all because I “couldn’t be bothered” for no reason at all; or caught myself thinking masculine thoughts and wondering how they found their way into my beautifully feminine mind! Well, how would I know what masculine thoughts are, seeing I am not a man, you ask? Well, I ask too. I just know.. I don’t know. Don’t ask me. *shrug* I just know they aint feminine lol how many sexes are there? Oh, yea! Thought so.. So there we go! Now you, or rather: we finally have it black on white: an unusual high amount of testosterone has been responsible for this all; affecting both my body and my soul! Oh, oh, testosterone!
..Anyway, as the victim of nature here, I allowed myself some moments to wallow in self-pity, and give in to some more thoughts. So, how masculine is Pinkus then? Can she come up with a list of 5 things proving the high amount of testosterone in her system? After all, this could well be hear-say! Trust, she could! And a number of things came to mind:
1. The fact that I am very easily (and yes, I really mean very very easily) sexually stimulated. While most women need to be warmed up, I find myself (well, I’m obviously not sexually active at the moment, but still.. allow me explain) turned on by the slightest touch/ sight. It just happens.. from zero to hero. -___- If I see something I like, I am turned on. I see someone I like, I tell him/her. Doesn’t mean anything; just means I can appreciate. ( ._.)
2. The fact that I really do not have a very high tolerance for small/nonsensical talk. Have something to say? Get to the point. Unless, of course, you are joking. In that case, just make sure your joke is actually funny and not a total waste of time; yours and mine. And yes, mine especially..
3. The fact that I am allergic to gossip. If you have nothing useful to say, don’t bother filling the gaps. I do not mind peace and quiet; on the contrary, I actually quite like it. I prefer it to noise.
4. The fact that I love “the hunt and the chase”. In a way, men too. Not the naughty kind of chase, don’t get me wrong. I just like the game: the indicating of an interest, the back and forth, the communicating, the spending time, the moving on. *covers face* If you’ve been around me long enough, you’d have probably heard me say “I know why God made me a woman sha. I don’t blame guys, I don’t blame them at all. If I were a man I’d do much worse.” a couple of times. There you have it! In a weird-kinda-way I appreciate the game. All of this, obviously, is totally non-sexual; but does that make it any better?
5. The fact that I totally understand (although I do not support it. See what I’ve been doing? I’m trying to make it very clear that I am no advocate of pre-/extramarital sex) how one can separate The Act from The Feeling(s).
So yes, it all started making perfect sense.. all my assumptions.. perhaps a self-fulfilling prophecy? *rme* Obviously not.. way too much testosterone! And now, thanks to biology, I do not feel (totally) weird anymore; or better put: I can explain my weirdness and (hopefully) shift some blame! \\(˘⌣˘)//
While a lot of human beings still think estrogen= woman and testosterone= man, I have come to translate the previously shared Scripture into plain English: there is a woman in every man, and a man in every woman; hence why and how woman and man are one. Okay, this is obviously Scripture + my own personally added twist, but in (medical) essence:
The differences between female hormones and male hormones may not be as specific as you might think. The definition of a hormone is a chemical substance produced by an endocrine gland that has a specific effect on the activities of other organs in the body. The major female and male hormones can be classified as estrogens or androgens. Both classes of male and female hormones are present in both males and females alike, but in vastly different amounts. Most men produce 6-8 mg of the male hormone testosterone (an androgen) per day, compared to most women who produce 0.5 mg daily. Female hormones, estrogens, are also present in both sexes, but in larger amounts for women.
Estrogens are the sex hormones produced primarily by a female’s ovaries that stimulate the growth of a girl’s sex organs, as well as her breasts and pubic hair, known as secondary sex characteristics. Estrogens also regulate the functioning of the menstrual cycle.
Okay, I’m going to end this on a somewhat serious note. Although my “condition” obviously has everything to do with my hormone-imbalance; does my behaviour too? Just how much do you believe hormones affect your behaviour? For girls, does your behaviour much change when on your period; when pregnant? A friend of mine has made it his own mission to ask every single girl who acts “funny” (according to him) whether she’s on her period. The first time he tried that rubbish with me, I felt like punching him black and blue, but that would have only caused an, “Oh don’t bother answering; it’s rather obvious.” Hiss!! Needless to add, I refrained from turning physical, and simply walked away.
I have some male friends who are extremely emotional; sometimes even the woman in me wonders; but all I can bring myself to say is, “My guy, chill na!” Too much estrogen perhaps?
So, girls and guys: Just how much do you believe your hormones influence you? Is it fair to blame nature? Well, yes.. Nature shall defend itself!
How much will my persona(lity) change once I start using an oral contraceptive to help regulate my menstruation? Will an (unnatural) influx of (the needed) estrogen which will supposedly help reinstate a (desired) normal hormonal balance make me more feminine? Will I be more moody, talkative, irresponsible, and all those other things/words you men use to describe us women? Will I still be me? Look me, talk me, act me?
We shall see! 😀